Adapter to allow Canon EOS lenses to be fitted to Sony A7S,FS7 and FS700 and other E mount cameras allowing electronic iris control of EOS lenses without external controller.
This Smart AdapterTM has the following features:
- True electronic integration of aperture diaphragm - let camera automatically choose aperture in P or S exposure modes, or dial in yourself on the camera body in A or M modes.
- Powered by camera body. No external power source required.
- Wide open button (opposite of depth-of-field preview function) makes manual focusing easy.
- The tripod foot is detachable and compatible with Arca Swiss, Markins, Photo cam ball heads.
- High performance 32-bit processor and efficient switched-mode power supply.
EF lenses (see below for list of tested lenses)
EF-S lenses (see note 1)
Image stabilization (IS) (see note 2)
Electronic manual focusing (e.g. EF 85/1.2L II and discontinued EF 50/1.0L)
EXIF (focal length, aperture, zoom range)
P, A, S, M exposure modes
Autofocus (see autofocus support section below)
Distance and zoom display on VG and FS series camcorders (see note 3)
Auto magnify (see note 3)
Contax N mount lenses modified to Canon EF by Conurus
Contax 645 NAM-1 adapter modified to Canon EF by Conurus
Sigma, Tamron and Tokina lenses in Canon EF mount (see note 4)
Manual focus lenses adapted to Canon EF mount ('chipped' or 'AF confirm' adapters are not officially supported)
- Vignetting at corners may occur for certain EF-S lenses because they are designed to cover a 1.6x crop image circle but Sony NEX has a 1.5x crop sensor.
- Image Stabilization lens requires adapter firmware version 02 or above.
- Requires lenses supporting distance information.
- A third party zoom lens may need to be registered with the Smart Adapter first in order to detect its maximum aperture. Autofocus is disabled for most third-party lenses.
- This adapter has a circular opening whose diameter is not big enough to cover a full-size 36mm x 24mm sensor.
Tested Camera Bodies
- NEX-FS700 (autofocus works only in photo mode, but is disabled in movie capture mode)
The following lenses have been tested for autofocus operation. Minimum firmware version required shown in parenthesis. Thanks to the community for reporting success with lenses shown in bold.
Canon EF-S zooms
Canon EF zooms
EF-S 10-22/3.5-4.5 USM
EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS USM
EF-S 17-85/4-5.6 IS USM
EF-S 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS
EF-S 18-135/3.5-5.6 IS
EF 22-55/4-5.6 USM
EF 28-90/4-5.6 III
EF 70-200/2.8L IS USM II
EF 70-200/4L IS USM
EF 70-300/4-5.6L IS USM
EF 70-300/4-5.6 IS USM
EF 100-400/4.5-5.6L IS USM
EF 14/2.8L II USM
EF 24/1.4L II USM
EF 85/1.2L II USM
EF 300/2.8L IS USM
17-70/2.8-4 DC OS HSM (Ver.15, see note)
SP 24-70/2.8 Di USD VC (Ver.15)
AT-X PRO SD 11-16/2.8 (IF) DX (Ver.15)
- Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 OS HSM may occasionally run into a focus accuracy issue at the telephoto end.
Manual Focus Only
The following lenses have been tested with previous firmware versions with manual focus, aperture control, image stabilization (if applicable) and EXIF support. Autofocus is known to be disabled for lenses shown in italic, and may be disabled for the other lenses shown below.
Contax N AF lenses modified by Conurus
EF 16-35/2.8L USM
EF 16-35/2.8L II USM
EF-S 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS II
EF 24-70/2.8L (I)
EF 24-105/4L IS USM
EF 28-70/3.5-4.5 II
EF 28-80/3.5-5.6 II
EF 28-135/3.5-5.6 IS USM
EF-S 55-250/4-5.6 IS
EF 70-200/2.8L IS USM (I)
EF 70-300/4-5.6 DO IS USM
EF 14/2.8L (I)
EF 24/1.4L USM (I)
EF 20/2.8 USM
EF 24/2.8 (old version)
EF 35/1.4L USM
EF 40/2.8 STM
EF 50/1.4 USM
EF 50/1.8 II
EF 50/2.5 macro
MP-E 65/2.8 macro
EF 85/1.2L (mark I)
EF 85/1.8 USM
EF 100/2.8L IS USM macro
EF 135/2L USM
EF 180/2.8L macro
EF 200/2.8L II USM
EF 300/4L IS USM
EF 400/5.6L USM
Extender EF 1.4x III (see note 2)
Extender EF 2x (I) (see note 2)
NAM-1 adapter (see note 4)
1.4x Pro300 DG Teleconverter
|Sigma (see note 3)
12-24/4.5-5.6 EX ASPH
17-35/2.8-4 EX HSM ASPH
18-125/3.5-5.6 DC OS HSM
24-70/2.8 EX HSM
24-70/2.8 EX DG HSM
50/1.4 DG HSM
50/2.8 DG Macro
AT-X PRO 28-70/2.8
ZE Distagon 15/2.8
ZE Distagon 21/2.8
ZE Makro-Planar 50/2
ZE Makro-Planar 100/2
This Smart Adapter is also compatible with fully manual lenses which have no electrical contacts. Customers have reported success with the following fully manual lenses.
- Samyang 35/1.4
- Zeiss CP.2 25mm/T2.9
- Zeiss CP.2 100mm/T2.1
- Lenses not listed above are not tested and they may or may not work. We do our best to resolve any compatibility issue you find but firmware updates are by factory service only and there is a nominal shipping/handling charge of $50.
- Mount lens on EF Extender 1.4x or 2x first before attaching both on Metabones Smart Adapter.
- Some samples of Sigma lenses may require adapter firmware Version 12 or above to function properly.
- Mount Contax 645 lens on modified NAM-1 first before attaching both on Metabones Smart Adapter.
Autofocus is supported, with the following known limitations.
- Autofocus speed is very slow and inadequate for most moving subjects. The autofocus speed is unfit for professional use for sure, and it would disappoint most enthusiasts.
- Only Canon-branded lenses introduced in or after 2006 are officially supported. Autofocus is disabled for older Canon lenses and most third-party lenses, including most Sigma, Tamron and Tokina lenses and all Contax N lenses modified by Conurus.
- On NEX camera bodies in camcorder form factor (e.g. FS series), autofocus may be available only in photo mode but not in movie capture mode.
- Continuous AF is not supported.
- DMF mode (direct manual focus) is not supported.
- For non-camcorder camera bodies (e.g. NEX-7), during movie capture, if the subject moves to a different distance, half-press the shutter release button to re-activate autofocus and lock onto the subject again. Since autofocus speed is slow, there may be visible disruption in the resulting footage.
- The first two autofocus attempts are used to calibrate the lens and as a result may not lock successfully on the target. Half-press the shutter release button again and autofocus will lock successfully.
- Autofocus may have difficultly locking onto subjects which are very close to the nearest focusing distance of the lens.
- Autofocus accuracy depends heavily on the working condition of the lens. Lenses with hidden problems which may not be apparent on Canon DSLRs will lead to inaccurate and unreliable autofocus on Sony NEX. Typical problems of this kind that we have seen include an unsmooth/erratic autofocus mechanism (e.g. getting stuck intermittently at a certain focusing distance), a faulty/worn-out distance encoder or other faulty/worn-out internal sensors.
- Autofocus is supported only on Mark II Smart Adapters but does not work on the older Mark I version.
- Firmware version 14 or above is required. There is no firmware download but firmware update is a factory service procedure. Firmware version 14 is our first attempt at autofocus and we anticipate further improvements and bug fixes in future versions. Therefore, we advise existing Mark II Smart Adapter customers to wait for our next firmware release before sending in your adapter for firmware update. If you should require an update right away, please email Metabones and send your Smart Adapter back for a firmware update. There is a nominal shipping/handling charge of $50.
Since its inception, Metabones has been designing and manufacturing lens adapters recognized among professionals and enthusiasts as leaders in design and workmanship.
Contrary to the popular trend of other factories using an aluminum ring painted black on the camera-body-side, we instead take no short-cut but use precision-machined brass with chromium plating on both the camera-body and the lens sides of our adapters, in order to ensure smooth mounting, great appearance, and durability. The lens side of the adapter features a strong leaf-spring structure, strengthening the adapter-lens connection and ensuring tightness of the lens in order to reduce wear and prevent focus errors and optical alignment issues from appearing.
Metabones uses matte-black treatment to keep internal reflection to a minimum in order to maintain the maximum optical quality possible with the lens.
Metabones Canon EF Lens to Sony NEX Smart Adapter II follows this tradition of uncompromising precision, robust build quality and outstanding finish.
- Both camera-side and lens-side of the adapter are made of brass, precision-machined and plated with chromium.
- Satin surface finish - just like your OEM lens and camera mounts.
- Precise fit and solid connection - lens has no play, gap or wiggling when mounted on adapter and no adjustments are required to fit your lens.
- Designed to reach infinity focus while maintaining the correct registration distance required to maintain optical quality of CRC lenses or lenses with floating elements.