Totally redesigned, heavy-duty version 3 Axis Gimbal System designed to carry large payloads, so suitable for large and small cameras enabling steadicam-type shots on carbon-fibre/aluminium frame.
Designed with brushless technology for refined use and improved from the previous MōVI M10 and M15 in every way, Freefly have listened to their users and solved all the niggling issues that surrounded the previous models and the results are quite superb.
Operate using the MōVI Pro, the MōVI Ring Pro or the unique MIMIC controller - all are included in the price.
The attached video in the video tab introduces the capability better than any words can.
We expect this to rapidly become the de-facto choice on serious gimbal productions.
MōVI Ring Pro
MōVI Ring Pro is designed to allow users to create content more quickly and effectively than ever before. It features a built in stand for instant set down to allow users to rest between shots. The built in stand allows for quick setup and balancing without an accessory stand. The built in stand allows users to execute remote head shots almost anywhere. Simply set the MōVI Pro on the ground, table, etc and execute complex pan / tilt moves with ease.
MIMIC offers precise and natural control of the MōVI Pro. Using Freefly’s innovative MIMIC technology, the camera automatically and intuitively follows users movements. MIMIC features a long range 2.4 GHz frequency hopping radio system that provides users access to MōVI Pro pointing control, status information, menus, and RED camera controls.
This new MōVI Control method has no joysticks, knobs or wheels. Just tilt, pan or roll and the MōVI will follow. Move the MIMIC and the MōVI will follow. It's so instant and organic that operators can execute complex moving shots with precise framing after just minutes of practice. The video on the video link shows how this intuitive, versatile and unique controller is.
- Integrated battery with 6 hour runtime
- Integrated LCD
- Long Range Wireless
- USB Connectivity
- BLE connectivity
- Quick release mount
- ¼ 20 mount
- SD Card Slot
- 2 COM ports for expansion
Optional Freefly MōVI Controller
The Mimic system is excellent but the Freefly MoVI Controller is an option to integrate lens control as well as joystick operation for panning and tilting. It interfaces seamlessly with the Hocus Axis 1 wireless lens control system too.
This is a well designed system which works very well with the following cameras that we have tested:
• RED EPIC and RED EPIC Dragon
• Sony FS-7
• Sony PMW-F5/F55
• Sony FS700 with limited choice of lenses
• Canon 5D Mk2 and Mk3 and all DSLR form factor cameras
• Canon C500, C300EF and C300PL
• Blackmagic camera
However, the ARRI Alexa plus/Classic etc are not compatible with the MoVI Pro.
Also worthy of note is that it is also not compatible with all lenses as yet. Many PL lenses were too heavy for the MoVI M10 but will work with the M15. With appropriate lightweight cameras we have tested SuperSpeeds, UltraPrimes, CP2s, Mini S4s and Cooke S4s without issue. Whilst most DSLR primes lenses will work, you need to be careful with DSLR zoom lenses, as some (such as Canon 24-70 L USM EOS zoom) have moving internal elements,which affect the centre of gravity through the range of the zoom and this affects the balance of the unit, rendering the unit unuseable. Please enquire for more details.
We find that the Canon C300EF camera with 16-35 EOS zoom is an ideal combination which has a useful zoom range and the RED EPIC fitted with CP.2 primes or Zeiss ZF DSLR primes also works extremely well.
Powering the MoVI Pro
We supply 3 x Freefly batteries with charger, as the D-tap outputs allow the camera and peripherals to be powered from one battery source.
*** Please note, if you are supplying your own camera, then please include a powering cable to D-Tap, if you wish to power from the Gimbal batteries, as none are supplied with VMI kits ***
VMI MōVI and DEFY Gimbal Training
VMI is now providing MōVI and Ronin Gimble training courses which offer a discount on your first hire.
VMI has posted recommended packages for these devices (visible in the rates and packages tab) based on our experience and do most emphatically feel that keeping it simple will be the way forward for these rigs.
VMI MoVI Pro Package
- MōVI Pro Gimbal
- 3 x Freefly MoVI batteries 1.8AH and charger
- MōVI Ring Pro
- 1x COM to FRX Cable
- 1x MōVI Pro Accessory Bag
- 1x MōVI Rod Mount Adapter
Once you have affixed and balanced a camera to a Gimbal system, then you are ready to shoot and don't need any other accessories but several accessories can make yours a better and more functional experience!
All of these are optional but all are fully compatible and mounting points for these peripherals are provided for all VMI systems, so that you can choose them with confidence that they will work.
These include wireless follow focus systems, wireless video senders, external recorders, on-camera monitors and a floor stand rig.
- The TV Logic 5.6" monitor is the monitor of choice for these systems for its size and performance and bridge-mountings are provided to mount the monitor if you don't want use the camera's own LCD display.
- Instead of a small external monitor, you may wish instead to use a recorder with built-in monitor for both of these functions, such as Atomos Shogun or Convergent Odyssey 7Q recorders.
- Wireless Lens control systems allow a focus puller to operate focus. Compatible are Hocus Axis 1 LCS or Preston FIZ Lite. Note that the Hocus Axis 1 interfaces directly with the MōVI Controller, so that the focus can be adjusted by the controller settings.
- You may want to have a Director's monitor and we have many wireless video links which can be supplied with a wide range of monitors but is not supplied with one as standard. The Teradek clip is an interesting option which is iPad compatible and draws very little power but is HDMI input only.
- C stand with K clamp and sandbag is a very useful rig for resting the camera and device. The sandbag is necessary to drape on the arm of the C stand to counterbalance the weight of the device. Trust me, you WILL be grateful to have a floor-mounted platform to rest the fully built rig during use if you don’t have a table top for the supplied holder.