Very popular compact XDCAM EX camera following on from PMW-EX1 and offers all the great features of the PMW-EX1 in a new semi-shoulder design shooting on the solid-state format XDCAM-EX.
Sony PMW-EX3 solid-state camcorder package includes raincover, storage, card reader, tripod and shotgun mic
The PMW-EX3 combines a state-of-the-art, non-linear XDCAM workflow with simply the best HD quality yet seen in a semi-shoulder camcorder. It is also the first semi-shoulder camcorder to carry the CineAlta 24P brand with multiple frame rate recording capability such as 59.94i, 50i, and native 25p, 23.98P, as well being 1080i/720P switchable.
There is also a choice of a 35Mb/s High Quality mode or a 25Mb/s, HD.V 1080i compatible mode, so although it is not good enough quality to be passed for proper HD Broadcast, it is certainly excellent quality for viewing quality. To take advantage of this high performance recording capability, the PMW-EX3 uses the same imaging system as the PMW-EX1, consisting of three ½-inch type CMOS sensors, each with an effective pixel count of 1920x1080. In addition, there's a purpose-built interchangeable Fujinon Professional HD ½-inch 14x lens and a unique dual focus ring mechanism. Included in the package is a ½-inch lens adaptor to allow use of other ½-inch lenses.
This camcorder also features an interchangeable lens system, much higher resolution HD viewfinder (3.5"), genlock, timecode and remote control capability for real added flexibility, offering a low-cost HD studio solution.
To maximise recording time, the PMW-EX3 has two memory card slots which means with a pair of 32 GB SxS PRO memory cards, it can record up to 280 minutes of HD footage. VMI's package includes 2 x 32GB cards (up to 280mins at 35Mb/s HQ mode@25p) as standard.
To calculate the recording durations:
- At HQ mode @ 25fps (35Mb/s), you can record 110mins per 32GB card (3.9 mins per GB @ 25P)
- At HQ mode @ 24fps (35Mb/s), you can record 96mins per 32GB card (3 mins per GB @ 24P)
- At SP Mode @ 25pfps (25Mb/s), you can record 178mins per 32GB card (5.4mins per GB @ 25P)
All Frame rates are as follows:
- HQ mode: 1920 x 1080/50i, 25P, 1280 x 720/50P, 25P
- SP mode: 1440 x 1080/50i
- HQ mode: 1920 x 1080/59.94i, 29.97P, 23.98P, 1280 x 720/59.94P, 29.97P, 23.98P
- SP mode: 1440 x 1080/59.94i
- Focus: AF/MF/Full MF selectable 800 mm to 8 (MACRO OFF), 50 mm to 8 (MACRO ON, Wide), 735 to 8 (MACRO ON, Tele)
- Image stabilizer: ON/OFF selectable, shift lens
- Filter thread: M77 mm, pitch 0.75 mm (on lens)
- Lens mount: 1/2-inch type EX mount
- Zoom ratio: 14x (optical), servo/manual selectable
- Focal length: f = 5.8 to 81.2 mm (equivalent to 31.4 to 439 mm on 35 mm lens)
- Iris: F1.9 to F16 and Close, servo/manual selectable
- Maximum relative aperture: 1:1.9
Optional 2/3" B4 Mount Adapter to allow cinema-style and HD electronic lenses. It will also allow a Pro35 adapter to also be fitted to permit PL mount film lenses to be also mounted for use with this camera.
VMI Standard Camera kit
VMI believe in increasing specifications to increase kit value.
- Sony EX-3 SxS Camcorder
- 2 x 32GB SxS storage (for 4 hours of HD acquisition)
- SxS Card Reader
- Sachtler FSB-6 Tripod
- Sennheiser K6/ME66 Shotgun Microphone
SxS Camera Storage
32GB SxS Cards (2 hour at HQ mode)
64GB SxS Cards (4 hours at HQ mode)